Friday, May 20, 2005

Ukraine: Quotable Quotes and More Pics

I'm in Kyiv at the moment, getting poked and prodded, them trying to figure out why this stomach flu won't go away. I've had to give samples of things you shouldn't give samples of, and they went ahead and gave me the boosters for some of my immunizations. Sore arms. Fun day.

But the final proposal for the grant for the climbing wall is done, three days early no less! When I get something done early, you know I'm sick. Actually, I just knew I didn't want to make the trip to Kyiv twice, so I stayed up last night and finished it. I'll know June 3 if we get it.

A couple of quoteables:

An text message from Amy to Carrie, giving her directions to the singing competition Amy had to judge: "go up the stairs, turn left and listen for the horror."

British, not American, English, has been taught here, hence the following two quotes:

Carrie's student, describing his home: "And my grandmother has a big, beautiful, brown cock."

One of the female teachers I was training, holding up a picture during the demonstration of a young learner activity, after I asked them all to draw an animal: "This is my pussy."

Since no one else got it, no one could figure out why I was trying to hold in laughter.


Victory Day parade in Zhytomyr


A river of people headed to the World War II memorial


A veteran laying flowers down on the memorial


My three neighbors: Luba, Alla and Ina. I hadn't realized it, but three girls live in the one room apartment, with two beds, a couch and a piano in the one room. Makes me feel bad that just one of me lives in a three room apartment.


Playing wrong notes on an out of tune piano