Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Ukraine: Dedication

Hey, I actually have a story about work!

So here's dedication for you. I came into work with about ten minutes until my first class. The problem was that I hadn't photocopied the activities we'd be using yet, expecting to do that upon arrival. Except, the photocopy machine was locked (this happens frequently) and the guy with the key was nowhere to be found (this also happens frequently). I usually stop by the store two blocks away to do my photocopying, but I had just typed up the activity sheet and still needed it printed, hence going into work.

So I found myself in my 90 minute class with only the first activity prepared. Admittedly, I could have winged it, but I wanted the teachers to do these activities so that they could teach them to their students later. Getting them started on the first activity, I then left the classroom, ran down a flight of stairs, ran two blocks to the store (in my shirt and tie, tie over my shoulder and waving behind me), got the needed copies, ran two blocks back, up the stairs and into the classroom just as the teachers were finishing up.

Now that's dedication.

***

This blog is about to get a lot more interesting. Summer is creeping up, and currently I'm not spending more than a week in Zhytomyr. The rest will be spent in Crimea, Romania, Georgia, Turkey, the Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Slovakia and more, not to mention three summer camps, two PDOs, a Peace Corps training and a 60 KM extreme marathon.

But tomorrow, if all goes as planned, will be an appetite wheter. If I survive. Check back then.