Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Misc: ebay Comedy of Errors

As payment for directing and editing two training videos for GEAR UP, I was given a professional video camera. Well, officially I was paid for the job and the money went to buy the camera, but essentially that was the deal.

Said camera, although it has seen much of America and shot me some beautiful footage, was too bulky and expensive to bring to Ukraine, and so sat in America, steadily loosing value. It's a Canon GL1, and the Canon GL2 is already out. So every six months, technology wise, was loping at least $150 off its value.

Reasoning that if I really needed a professional video camera in the future (and, really, I don't), whatever money I sold it for would probably buy me the exact camera upon return plus profit due to devaluation. Dig?

So I put it on ebay. That was three days ago and I hadn't checked the sale since. Except when I checked it today, I realize that someone bought it the day it went up for the "Buy it Now Price" (which was a fair, but still damn expensive, price, especially considering the fact that some of the controls no longer work).

Then I realized that my payment address was my old one in Oklahoma. Then I realized that my contact e-mail was my old one with Juno. And when I checked my Juno account, I found that the 2MB inbox had already been overloaded with junk mail and there were no e-mails from Ebay, or possible ones from the buyer.

In other words, there could well be a very substatial check on its way (or already having arrived) at a rundown apartment in Oklahoma. I couldn't even change my e-mail with ebay because they wanted a credit card on record to do so. Screw that, especially with how unsecure the internet is out here.

So I'm not sure what's going down at the moment. Best case scenario is that the buyer was awaiting contact from me, and I just sent him an e-mail with the right mailing address. Worst case, someone's trying cash a check with my name on it.

We'll see.