Saturday, April 16, 2005

Ukraine: Diana Breakup and Homeless Kids

I'm just going to put up two facts without much comment, because I'm still mentally sorting through them myself.

1) Diana and I amicably broke-up last night. It stemmed from the age-old "Daniel-doesn't-want-a-relationship" clause. It was slightly sad but undramatic and thankfully (as apparently this is a rarity amongst Ukranians) she wants to stay friends.

2) Later that night, three homeless kids--none older than twelve--knocked on my door begging for food. At first I didn't want to open my door because it was late and these are the things Peace Corps warns us about. They left, but my concious got the better of me and I opened the door to find them begging for food from my the door across from mine. I gave them a box of cereal and a few bags of cheese-its; all I had, sadly, because I hadn't restocked my food since getting back. They thanked me in Russian and then sat on the steps to my landing, eating. One had a horrible cough and I sat inside, trying to read a book, hearing him hack, wondering what more I could--or should--do. They left while I was still debating.