Tuesday, April 26, 2005

America: At the Beach (With Pics)

So, 'cause we live in Florida and all, we had to take a trip to the beach. In this case Ormond Beach, just north of Daytona. The weather was amazing, if a little cool (it being late April and all), but nothing compared to the frozen Ukranian steppes. Or so I said as I pulled on my fleece sweater. It was the off-season, so we only shared the beach with dozens, instead of hundreds, of other people. It was really nice.

The blonde you see in the pictures is Rachel, one of my closest friends. She sacrificed sleep to come see me, going to the beach last minute on an two hours of it and then leaving at six AM the next morning to drive back to Orlando to work a double. In other words, she's awesome.

I think I need to say something about the sun in Ukraine. There is none, at least in the winter. There's this pale white disk that peeks between the clouds every couple weeks and always gets below the horizon before 4:00 PM, but it could be anything.

The sun and I, long time lovers, had been a bit on the rocks, with me being away for so long, and it showed in my pale complexion. I tried to rekindle the romance, slowly restoke the embers of a smoldering passion.

Instead I got burned.

I don't think I've been pink since I was three weeks old, but I am now. No, I'm not going to post the next day picture (too embarassing; I am Cuban, after all), but by looking at the pic below of me with Candy (yes, her name was Candy) you can see the first signs of the slow cooking.


Isabell, being as cute as ever in the hotel room


All of us at the beach. Yes, my sister (in the green bathing suit) just had a baby three weeks ago.


Me, at sunset


Isabell and Rachel playing around


My mom relaxing by the pool


Sunrise at Ormond Beach


Me and Candy. She's from Tenessee. We met by the pool, tossed the frisbee around and took a walk on the beach. Yes, her name really is Candy. Yes, she's in beautician's school. And yes, she has a southern accent. No, nothing happened.


Seagull on the seashore