Friday, January 07, 2005

Ukraine: Orthodox Christmas

Today is the Orthodox Christmas, so I spent the afternoon in a small farming village where my host mom has family. They plied me full of food, and everything except the vodka and wine had been homemade. The butter had been made from the milk they got from their cows, the apple juice (which I drank three glasses of) came from the apples in the orchid behind the house.

They speak the worst sergic there, though. Sergic is Russian and Ukranian combined. Here's a phrase I heard: "Dyakuyu vam toshz." Basically, it's "Thank you as well" except "Dyakuyu" is a Ukranian word, "vam" is common to both languages, and "toshz" is Russian. Gave me a damn headache, although it was a lot of fun.

Oh, whoever anonymousgirl is, thanks for the posts! Sadly, my grandfather's present is still the Penthouse, sitting hidden in my room.