Thursday, January 06, 2005

Ukraine: Censored

I wrote 1,500 words for a magazine called Subsystence and submitted it to myRegional Manager, as per Peace Corps Ukraine guidelines. It was rejected for talking about drinking vodka with Ukranians, trying absinthe, and my sometimes unflattering (but completely true) portraits of Ukranian cities.

Peace Corps Ukraine actually forbids us from writing anything critical of "Ukraine, it's government, its culture or its people" and it doesn't want us writing about activities "that do not reflect Peace Corps policies." I'm not going to fight it on this particular article and just edit what they want, but I am taking it to the volunteer advisory council because I think information-control is anathema to the values the United States stands for.

We'll see. Pissed me off, though. I'll write more about it when I get more internet time.