Saturday, January 01, 2005

Ukraine: Blah

For once, I'm not going to use this blog for travelogues or essays, but more on what blogs are generally about: someone's thoughts and feelings. And, oddly, this will be short.

I am depressed. Or if not clinically depressed, then blah, sad, lonely. New Years sucked. A thousand people were partying in Zhytomyr's main square and I went to bed early. The weather sucks, the winter sucks, all my new friends are spread across Ukraine, three months later I still don't have control of what I eat and what I eat sucks (hard boiled eggs and beets for breakfast this morning; holodetz--meat Jell-O--last night; pickles and fried potatoes the night before last; an obscene amount of bortscht every day for lunch), I miss my family, I miss my friends in America. I miss Robynne and Sarah and Mom and Miguel and Michelle and Papi and Grandma and Rachel and Ryan and Shauna and Erin K. and Nick and Charlie.

I miss sitting in a darkened movie theatre, wolfing down a bucket of buttered popcorn and slurping down a huge soda. I miss driving my car down a late night empty highway. I miss stopping by Chinese takeout on my way home to watch a boxing match with Jim.

Ironically, what brought this on was the movie "Signs". I watched it last night, and maybe because it took place in America, I just really missed being home. Don't ask me why, it just did. So that's me at the moment. Nothing to worry about; just letting everything get to me.