Friday, June 10, 2005

Ukraine: Extreme Marathon

Well, I've been alluding to this marathon I'm doing and meant to talk about it but, you know, haven't. Since it starts tomorrow, I figured I'd better.

So, yeah, Carrie and I are a team in an Extreme Marathon. We're the "Boshvillne Yodjiki", which is syrgic ("Boshevillne" being Ukrainian and "Yodjiki" being Russian) for "Crazy Hedgehogs".

Polissya, the group I'm building the climbing wall with, runs it. There are three classes. The hardest is a four day journey in excess of 400 kilometers and involves biking, hiking, boating, orienteering and rock climbing.

The wimpiest (i.e. our) class, is 60 kilometers (a little over 37 miles). Fifty-five are hiking and orienteering, with ropes course type obstacles (climbing, crossing a river on a rope, rapelling, etc.) along the way. An unknown length is swimming (something like 300 meters) and 5 kilometers is rafting on a river. The rafting, by the way, is done on a raft you build on the spot, with provided materials (branches and car tires and such). We have to complete the whole race in 23.5 hours, straight through the night.

This is the required gear list: Climbing harness, carabiners, belay device, ascenders, 8mm rope for prusics and building the raft, 10mm rope to make slings for ropes course activities (zip lines and such), first aid kit, headlamps, a inflatable kid's tube (so your gear can float behind you when you're swimming), and a compass. Obviously, you also have to bring food and water.

I was going to take pictures of all our want more.
my problems just didn't fit anymore. I am healthier and I want more.