Thursday, June 29, 2006

Ukraine: Prizes! (Pic)

So I didn't even need my keys (although I eventually did find them; they had fallen through a crack in the wire-frame hall table-thingy down inside a house shoe that's been there since 1956) to get my mail because this morning a knock on my door woke me up and much information was demanded from me, me sleepily scrawling on a piece of paper while an old woman pointed (not quite sure if I was getting mail or signing a confession)and next thing I knew I was following her downstairs to get a package.

Inside were two brand new ropes, about thirty posters, sixty or so stickers and a handful patches. I wasn't expecting that much: we have so much that every kid can get at least one poster and two stickers and that kind of defeats the idea of "winning" a prize, especially since more is supposed to be on the way. We'll probably have to make "prize packs" of different goodies and no matter what, everyone gets a sticker. But still, nothing else could make it to Ukraine at this point and we'd be set. I also go pick up the tee-shirts today, so it's a pretty good day as far as the climbing camp goes.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So a huge thank you to New England Ropes (http://www.neropes.com) and to Chris, who I've been corresponding with there!

Just goes to show you that you never know: I originally wasn't going to email New England Ropes because I just figured it was a small, specialized company and what were they going to be able to give us? Rope? Black Diamond sending a carabiner or two and some posters, that would make sense. A company I hadn't previously heard of sending us the most expensive part of climbing, that was unbelievable. But not only did they respond, they pledged both the biggest and the most prizes and their package got here first. They have won a convert for life. If you buy rope, buy New England Rope!

Peace.