Thursday, June 15, 2006

Ukraine: Activity Report 4

Just to prove I do work here in Ukraine, the following is the activity report we are required to submit to Peace Corps three times a year. It is for Jan 1-June 1 2006.

***

Volunteer Activity Report
TEFL Volunteer Form

Part One: Primary Assignment

1. My schedule and responsibilities widely vary at the institute, changing from week to week.

In the past six months I have:

-Taught approximately 40 seminars, each 90 minutes long, on the following topics: Intro to the Course and Terminology, Methods of TEFL, Communicative Method, Vocabulary, Lesson Planning, Integrated Skills, Country Studies; Mixed Ability Classrooms; Young Learners; Reading Skills; Writing Skills; Speaking Skills; Listening Skills; Speaking for Young Learners; Reading for Young Learners; Writing for Young Learners; Listening for Young Learners; and English Language Improvement
-Created all the listening and speaking tasks for the Regional Olympiad; proofed and typed all the tasks for the Regional Olympiad
-Taught a biweekly Olympiad coaching class
-Judged at the Regional Olympiads (but disqualified myself from judging any student I had coached).
-Coached the winners of the Regional Olympiad for the National Olympiad
-Continued work on a book of Olympiad Coaching exercises
-Liaised with volunteers coming to judge at National Olympiads; created map of the city with places of interest for them; guided them from their hotel to their sites
-Continued work on set of Country Studies multimedia materials, including taped interviews with volunteers about their hometowns, which have been steadily distributed to my Practical Project volunteers and my teachers.

2. Describe your major accomplishments for this period:

-Last year, writing the Olympiad tasks was difficult, possibly because I had never done it before and was never sure exactly what was expected. This year I felt I created a number of very original (so that they students could not provide memorized answers) and very challenging tasks.

-I feel that, after having taught them a number of times, that my lesson plans are really polished and I am really enjoying my rapport with my teacher groups. Based on conversations and observations, I am confident a number of the techniques and materials I have presented are making their way back to Ukrainian classrooms.

-Probably the accomplishment I am most proud of is that all the students in my coaching class placed in the Regional Olympiad, including one taking first place in the 11th form and one taking first place in the 10th form. Both went on to win 2nd at the National Olympiads in their respective forms.

3. List factors that helped or hindered your work during the reporting period

-A good relationship between me and my coordinator; trading teaching materials with other teacher trainers. I don’t feel my work has been hindered.

4. What are your plans for the next reporting period?

-I will continue to teach seminars until the end of June.

Part Two: Community Projects

English Club

A club taught once a week at a School 12 that focused on English grammar and country studies.

-I taught this club in conjunction with PCV Steve Senteny and PCV Kirstin Johansson. At the beginning of the year we had almost fifty students, prompting us to weekly split the class among us. Outcomes have included better English skills and better awareness of social issues and America amongst the attendees. Attendance dropped in the middle of the semester and I stopped teaching at the club in March to work on other projects. Steve and Kirstin continue to teach it.

The Climbing Wall

The climbing wall was built using SPA funds last fall in conjunction with Polissya, a Zhytomyr non-profit focused on promoting extreme sports.

-During April and May I visited an average of 6 classes a week at local schools to promote the wall, showing a video and handing out flyers. During those two months we conducted 8 weekly training sessions on the wall. The sessions were two hours long, with half the class listening to an HIV seminar conducted by ACET and the other half climbing, then the two groups switched. We trained 82 people, 61 of which were under 18. Those asked said the seminars were very informative and useful. At least 27 of those 82 have come back to use the wall during the week.

The Climbing Club

A weekly two-hour club for teaching advanced climbing skills

-I taught a group of 8 (four boys and four girls) both at the wall on Zhytomyr’s cliffs. Classes focused on climbing technique, lead climbing, proper belaying, setting anchors and safety.

Practical Project for ESL teachers

A PC pilot project to increase the level of knowledge amongst Ukrainian ESL teachers

-I managed ten volunteers: setting up classes for the new volunteers, checking attendance and providing materials for older volunteers, holding monthly meetings in Zhytomyr to discuss progress and teaching techniques, and observing each PCV once during the semester, giving them feedback.

Windows on America

A USA-sponsored section of the Zhytomyr Library that holds American Studies classes

-I did two things for Windows on America:

1. I held a weekly club for watching English-language movies and discussing them. The club has been very popular, often becoming standing room only. We have watched a wide range of movies from the Windows on America collection and have had great discussions. The librarians constantly receive good feedback that they pass on to me.

2. One Saturday, as part of their weekly American Studies class, I conducted a two-hour seminar on Florida, using video, photographs and activities. The seminar was covered by a reporter and the article appeared in a Zhytomyr newspaper.

Climb for Life

A one-week summer camp that will be held in July and which will focus on three areas: Healthy Lifestyles, Climbing Skills and Team Challenges

-I am the Camp Director. During this period I planned the camp, creating a camp handbook that I then translated into Russian (which was thankfully checked by a Ukrainian!). I brought on board Healthy Lifestyles teachers from ACET and climbing instructors from Polissya, secured in-kind donations of climbing and camping equipment from Polissya, secured in-kind donations of flipchart paper, markers and a flipchart easel from American Councils, registered 60 interested students (final number will be 24), secured the services of a Yoga instructor, approached the Zhytomyr City Council about a fundraiser, and assembled a management team of three university students who will manage the camp this year and continue it next year.

Run Across Ukraine

A relay race across Ukraine that will raise awareness and money for HIV/AIDS

-I am one of two high-level managers for the race (PCV Jon Kendrick is the other). I brought to the project ACET, Polissya, a major fundraiser and a webmaster to the project. Together, Kendrick and I jointly planned and organized the run, presented the project to the HIV/AIDS working group, created informational packets, liaised with volunteers in other oblasts and basically have done whatever possible to get the project working. I also designed and wrote most of the HTML for the website, which was then turned over to the webmaster for translation and upkeep. We hope it will be successful when it starts in September.

Bike Zhytomyrska

A project to help Zhytomyr’s youth, particularly Internat pupils, by providing a recreational alternative for them, educate them about their oblast and teach them about HIV/AIDS and healthy lifestyles by conducting weekly biking trips around the oblast.

-Coordinated with Polissya, ACET and one of Zhytomyr’s Internat’s to plan the project, then wrote and was approved for a SPA grant to buy the bikes and equipment. Received the money on 28.05.06 and dispersed it to Polissya.

American Councils

American Councils runs FLEX in Ukraine, which sends Ukrainian students to the USA for one year to study.

-I was the Master Teacher at the FLEX Training of Trainers this year. My responsibilities included teaching two basic pedagogy classes and observing and giving feedback for the practice presentations of all the participants. I will also teach at their Pre-Departure Orientations in July.

2. What are your intended projects for the next reporting period?

-I plan on expanding the climbing class to two classes (one for over 18 years of age, the other for under 18), finish preparations and conduct the Climb for Life camp, manage the Bike Zhytomyrska and Run Across Ukraine projects, teach a Pre-departure Orientation for FLEX in July, continue my film club during the summer, and conduct any climbing wall trainings for interested groups (already three volunteers have expressed interest in bringing students from other oblasts for a wall training). I am also discussing with a group called Youth Initiatives about getting a Partnership Grant for them to work on a project to combat domestic violence.

Part Three: Social/Cultural Adjustment, Language Learning

1. Describe difficulties and successes you have experienced in adjusting to your community.

I feel very well adjusted to my community.

2. What are your plans for continuing your personal development to overcome problems and sustain successes?

I plan to continue bettering my language and maintaining my friendships in order to continue integrating with my community. I hope to continue to remain open to new change and flexible in the face of new challenges.

3. Describe your current language study program and your plans for continuing your language learning.

Currently, I study 30 minutes a day during lunch, Monday-Thursday, watch and listen to movies and music in Russian and regularly speak in Russian with my Ukrainian friends and colleagues. My rather modest goal is to acquire 100 new words a month until I leave the country.

Part Four: Volunteer Support Needs

1. Describe your experiences with support provided by Peace Corps during the reporting period and make suggestion.

I am very impressed with the level of support that I receive from Peace Corps.

2. Provide your feedback on communications with the office for the reporting period.

My e-mails and phone calls have always been promptly returned and my questions have always been satisfactorily answered. My regional manager, Bohdan Yarema, has always been extremely honest and supportive with all my questions and inquiries. I have been and continue to be very impressed with him.

Part Five: Lessons Learned

Stay flexible. Work hard. Enjoy life.

Part Six: Safety/Security Issues

I feel safe.