Saturday, June 03, 2006

Ukraine: $4,920

Four thousand, nine hundred and twenty dollars is the grant money that that was transferred to my bank account to pay for the bikes and equipment for the bike tours. I went to withdraw it and my bank didn't even have that much money in the vault (the vault, by the way, is a very, very, very old safe sitting on a table on the other side of the counter). One of the bankers actually had to leave the bank to go to another bank to get more money.

I withdrew it in dollars because, as I mentioned in a blog a long, long time ago, the dollar is the hard currency most Ukranians keep their savings in (not trusting the hrivna, which is just a revaluation of their last currency, the koupon, which was so destroyed by inflation that people were literally using koupons for toilet paper). One thing that is never hard to find in Ukraine, even in the smallest villages, is a money exchange between dollars and hrivnas (although, it must be noted, Euros are starting to become popular here, too).

They handed me the $4,920 and I took a second to look at it. In my hands was more than I make in two years here in Ukraine, in one lump sum. It was as much as some people (i.e., teachers) make in five years. It was more than I'd ever had in cash in my hands at any one time. And how does one transport this massive amount of money? Armored car? Body guard? No, I figured low-key was the best strategy and just folded it in half and stuffed it into the front right pocket of my jeans.

I safely got it home (it was the afternoon and I kept my hands in my pockets) and waited for Kolia to come over and pick it up. I felt it was like a drug deal or something, especially when I put the money in an envelope. We met at my apartment instead of the usual cafe we meet at because handing someone an envelope full of cash in a public place could not possibly look good.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

He picked it up, got it safely got it to his home and within a few weeks we'll start doing bike tours!