Monday, February 14, 2005

Ukraine: Back from Lviv

I'm back in Kyiv right now, should be back in Zhytomyr tonight. The Lviv trip was...frustrating, amazing, exausting, amazing. Let's say the package deal wasn't that great a deal (among other things, the castle wasn't a castle, and despite that we didn't have dinner inside it, and because they witheld a lot of information from us in an effort to get us to stay, we ended up stuck in a small town until 1:00 A.M.). Let's just say that Ukrainian culture repeatedly reared its ugly head. Coupled with the fact that Susannah is having a really hard time at her site and expected this to be a nice get away, well, every time something else went wrong it was one more straw on the camel's back. She cried a couple of times and as of last night was just sick of Ukraine and wanted to quit Peace Corps. Luckily, I don't think she will.

I'm having a better time at site and I think I'm just more laid back about things, so I actually had a pretty good time. Lviv is an amazing city and so many little things happened that actually made me appreciate, not hate, Ukraine.

I'll write about it and post it with pictures in a day or two.