Saturday, July 22, 2006

Ukraine: PDO (Pics)

So this is a heck of a lot of pictures from the Pre Departure Orientation for the FLEX students going to study in America next year: four days of learning about the FLEX program, American Culture and pitfalls they might encounter.

I uploaded like a hundred pics from the PDO because a lot of my kids wanted them, and they can all be found here:

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d137/blogmaster99/PDO

But here's some highlights:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The kids learned all about the most important part of American culture: Ultimate Frisbee

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Eating borsht for lunch

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My kids working on a presentation

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
We had to go over a number of case studies of problems previous FLEX students had in America, so we did them as a talk show. Here, my teaching partner Tea is getting a reaction from the audience.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A perfect class: no, this isn't posed. These kids have their hands up at every question, so I asked one, whipped my camera out and took the photo.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Taking the test about everything they learned at the PDO. Yes, if they fail the test they don't get to go to America.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
On the last evening there was a variety show from the students. Here is the audience.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
No, I'm not sure why he's wearing a flag as a skirt.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
After the variety show, the staff did "American Dream", a play we do every PDO poking fun at what FLEX students think they will find in America. During the "nightmare" part of the dream, I get to harrass the poor FlEX student on her flight to America.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And here I'm channeling my time in Oklahoma to be a hick

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Giving each other autographs

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The infamous Group 2, with their stalwart leader, me.