Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Ukraine: Cooking Students, Singing Teachers and Hardcore Bladers (Pics)

Lack of internet access (it stopped working at my apartment) and a busy schedule means I haven't been posting as often. But here's some recent highlights:

It turned out my advanced English class didn't know any cooking terms. One lesson we studyed them and the next they came over to my apartment. After reviewing the vocab, I handed them recipes in English and they proceeded to make me chicken quesedillas. Cool teaching method? Slave labor? Po-tay-toe, po-tah-to.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
How many students does it take to chop a tomato?"

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Making tortillas

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

One weekend while climbing and camping in Deneshi with some of the Polissya crew, I played an Okean Elzie song. I was disappointed that they didn't know the lyrics. Then I played an American song that they knew almost all the lyrics to. Realizing that most Ukrainians are familiar with it, I know teach the lyrics during my "English Improvement" seminar with teachers. That song is "Hotel California".

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

One of the girls in my movie club (I say "girl" but she's my age) is also part of a club of rollerbladers. I met them through her and because one of them had my size blades, I've been skating with them a bit. I used to be an aggressive skater my sophmore and junior years of college, and the lack of practice shows, but it's still a lot of fun. These guys are simply fantastic.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com