Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Poland: Beatles Party (With Pics)

Last night in Krakow, and what better place to spend it than at a Beatles themed party at a local bar named Ouba-Douba? Seth, Sean and I arrived too late to see the Beatles cover band, but a DJ was on hand to spin the best of the 50s and 60s (yes, the 50s and 60s) for us. It was a new experience for me because I had never tried to figure out how to dance to "Break on Through to the Other Side" on a floor packed with tourists and Poles before.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Beatles night painting at the bar

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Me with one of the cover band members. No matter how much we begged, they wouldn't play another set.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Me with Anya

Let me explain about Anya, this cute little Polish heartbreaker. She came out of nowhere and started dancing with me, extremely inebreated on alcohol and no doubt a few other substances. Polish is close to Ukranian (actually, it can be argued that most non-Russian vocabulary in Ukrainian is probably from Polish, but don't say that in front of Ukrainian nationalists) and so we were able to talk a bit, but not much as she was more interested in dancing.

And dance she did, with all of us. She generally cycled between seemingly-passed out, dancing against me with so much dead-weight that it was hard to keep my balance, to perking back up and bouncing around. She had a lot of infectious happiness, though. I say heartbreaker because even thoughwe danced together for more than an hour, I got the feeling she was dancing with me because I could dance, not out of any attraction. I wanted to kiss her but didn't get the vibe and so never tried. Call me punk if you will; I was just having fun dancing.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Seth dancing with Anya and Sean mugging for the camera

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Alexandra, a Polish girl who is a throwback to the raver generation. We danced a lot, but in the raver style where you dance at the other person, rather than with them.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sean dancing with a girl

So it was a great way to end a trip. Sean and Seth headed west to Budapest, and for me there was only the long slog east back to Ukraine...