Friday, May 12, 2006

Ukraine: The Past Two Weekends, Pt II (Pics)

Before going back to Kharkiv, Lisa braided my hair. It was nice to have it out of the way, but I ended up taking it out just a few days later for a formal meeting with the director of the orphanage that will be working with us on the bike project. Since the orphanage is on the outskirts of the city (completely isolated from the rest of Zhytomyr), we had to work out the logistics of getting them to the Polissya clubhouse and also found out what kind of paperwork would be needed to take “formal responsibility” of the orphans. I was hoping at least one worker from the orphanage could come on the trips with us simply for liability and discipline issues, but that may not happen. I'm slightly worried about having “formal responsibility” for wards of the state, considering I don’t let a single kid climb with us without their parents signing a waiver, but if it’s what we have to do, it’s what we have to do.

I have decided that braids are the way to go during the summer, though.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My hair in braids from the front. This is my "white trash" photo

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The braids from the back

Another weekend, another wall training, but this time it included Dasha and Nika, two friends of mine from Kyiv:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Nika's butt and Igor's everything at the wall

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Yes, I am that strong. No, really. Seriously. Date me?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Igor, Dasha, Volva on the wall

Completely worn out from their first time climbing, they went to the club with me that night despite their exhaustion. We were supposed to meet up with other friends at the club, but a phone call later revealed they were too drunk from the pre-partying to even get out of their apartment. This left just the three of us and Dasha and Nika sharing me on the dance floor. Tough life. Actually, Nika is married and Dasha has been with her boyfriend for a year, but I think that made them more comfortable dancing with me rather than less, and post-alcohol we were getting pretty raunchy.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Dasha at the club

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Dasha and Nika on the dance floor

Because they were tired and because I wasn’t leaving the dance floor, they were literally taking turns at the end of each song, one getting up to dance with me while the other sat back down at our table. The punchline of this story is that while Nika was dancing with me that Dasha, sitting with her back to a table but still able to overhear them, heard a girl remark about me: “well, he must have a lot of money if he can afford two prostitutes.”

I’d worry about giving Americans a bad name except, like I’ve said before on this blog, no one thinks I’m an American. They know I’m a foreigner, but when they ask where I’m from and I ask them to guess, they generally say France or Spain or, occasionally, Poland. This is such the general assumption that, while riding on a bus and talking to Dasha, a Ukrainian came up to me and started speaking to me in French. I told him in Russian that I don’t speak French and he kept on going anyway, finally ending with what sounded like a question, so I just said “Da.” He got off at that stop and Dasha asked: “what did he ask you?” “I have no idea,” I responded.

The next day rained out our hopes of climbing on the cliff, so we went back to the wall for a little bit before the girls said they were too tired to climb any more. So I took them to Zhytomyr’s space museum. I’d actually never been there, even though it’s Zhytomyr’s main bragging point. Sergei Karolov, who designed Mir, the first satellite in space, and Soyuz, the ship that took Gagarin, the first man in space, into space, was born in Zhytomyr. Hence, we have a cool museum with the original Soyuz ship, the return capsules, cosmonaut suits and a whole lot more. Possibly the coolest thing (and the most random) were a dozen chairs suspended from the ceiling that had headphones playing new age music. So I actually spent a good ten minutes resting my sore body on one of those, blissed out, wondering how to get one home to my apartment for use as a reading chair. Oh, and the entrance fee of this museum? One hrivna. Or, in American money, slightly less than 20 cents.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Anya in the space museum

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The actual Soyuz spaceship. It was smaller than I had imagined.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A crawler used to get samples from the moon.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Blissed out in a space chair